Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Long-delayed, and not much substance.

I have fallen sorely behind in my SURLY-writing. I’ve also fallen behind on reading (thanks, knitting!); so much so that I have only finished 3 books since last posting.

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Kim Cooper (33 1/3 Series)

I didn’t know too much about the background of the album, or the start of Elephant 6, so this was a fine book to read. Isn’t Elephant 6 perhaps deserving of a book just about the collective, though? C’mon, there’s a book about Emo.

Cinderella’s Big Score: Women of the Punk and Indie Underground By Maria Raha.

Lots of fun information, and the introductions to each time period were great overviews of music and feminist issues that were important at each epoch. However, the actual meat of the book, the analyses of lots and lots of bands, were a bit lacking because they were all so short. “Here’s this band! A little history! Why they were important as feminists.”. I realize that a more expansive analysis would have made this quite the tome, but I may have cut out the chapter about Peaches to hear more about Patti Smith.

Underground by Haruki Murakami
Very good. Haunting. Not the best book to read on the El.